Collection of personal information
“Personal information” (also referred to as “Personal Data” in some jurisdictions) is any information that can be used to identify you or that we can link to you.
Information we collect from you
We collect, process and use your personal information when you:
- visit our website;
- order products from our website;
- subscribe to our mailing list to receive our newsletter; and
- sign up to our Hackathon and Digital Clubs.
The information we collect is typically related to the product or service you request and includes:
- your name;
- address and email address;
- nature of the product requested;
- information relating to payment; and
- related information so that we may fulfill your request.
If you choose not to provide certain key information, this may mean that we are not able to provide you with all of our services.
How we use the information we collect
We use the information we collect:
- To respond to your inquiries;
- To provide you with products that you request;
- To send you newsletters, marketing communications, and other information or materials that may interest you;
- To invite you to our events such as Hackathon and Digital Clubs;
- To understand how people use our website, including by generating and analysing statistics; and
- To comply with legal obligations to which we are subject and cooperate with regulators and law enforcement bodies.
How we share the information we collect
We share the information we collect, including your personal information, with third parties under the following circumstances:
- Service providers and business partners. We may share your personal information with our service providers and business partners that perform IT services and other business operations for us.
- Protection of rights and other legal purposes. We may share the information we collect, including personal information, with any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other third party where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party.
Data transfers from the EU
Your personal information may be transferred to and be processed in a country that is not regarded as providing the same level of protection for personal information as the laws of your home country.
Where possible, we have sought to put in place appropriate safeguards (such as contractual commitments) in accordance with applicable legal requirements to provide adequate protections for your personal information. For more information on the appropriate safeguards in place and to obtain a copy of such safeguards, please contact us at the contact information set out below.
Legal bases for using your personal information
There are different legal bases that we rely on to use your personal information provided via the website, namely:
- Performance of a contract – The use of your personal information may be necessary to perform the contract that you have with us. For example, if you purchase products from our website, we will use your personal information to provide you with such products.
- Legitimate interests – We may use your personal information for our legitimate interests, for example, to understand how you use our website and to enable us to derive knowledge from that to enable us to develop the website. When we process personal information to meet our legitimate interests, we put in place robust safeguards to ensure that your privacy is protected and to ensure that our legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
Third party websites
Our website contains links to websites not owned or controlled by us. We do not have any control over these third-party websites. We encourage you to be aware of these other third-party websites and their privacy statements, as we cannot control and are not responsible for privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
Security and data retention
We deploy administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information that we collect. We evaluate these safeguards on an ongoing basis to help minimize risks from new security threats as they become known.
However, no information system can be 100% secure. So, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
We retain the information collected via our website for as long as required to fulfil the purpose for which the data was collected. For example, we will retain contact details when you subscribe to our newsletter until you choose to unsubscribe.
Your choices and your rights
You can unsubscribe or opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of an automatic email.
Subject to local law, you may have certain rights regarding information that we have collected and that is related to you. We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if you believe that any information that we have collected about you is inaccurate.
Consistent with legal requirements and limitations, you can also ask us:
- access your personal information;
- that information we hold about you be updated, rectified or blocked;
- to erase your personal information;
- to provide you or a third party with a copy of certain personal information about you (referred to as the right of “data portability”); and
- to restrict our use of your personal information.
Please note that we will likely require additional information from you in order to honor your requests.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, send us an email at email@example.com. Alternatively you may have a right to complain to your local data protection authority (if one exists in your country).
How to contact us
If you would like to contact us with questions about our privacy or data protection practices, please email us at Londonteam@iamthecode.org or write to us at 40 Conduit Street, London W1S 2YQ.